MetaData for 2011 Metolius River subbasin bull trout redd counts
2011 Metolius River subbasin bull trout redd counts
- Originator: ODFW
- Publish Date: 11-28-2012
- Online Link: None
- BPA Project #:
- Agency: Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Name: Michael Harrington
- Job Position: Assistant District Fish Biologist
- Telephone: 541-388-6145
- E-Mail Address: email@example.com
- Abstract: Bull trout are indigenous to the Metolius River basin; however, they were managed as a nuisance species due to their interactions with anadromous sportfish for several decades. In 1960, nuisance management of bull trout ended and protection of bull trout began in 1983 with mandatory catch and release regulations throughout the Metolius River basin. In 1986, the Department initiated annual redd counts for bull trout throughout the basin to document the species status. Redd surveys showed low spawning numbers, and the Department responded by closing all tributaries downstream of Lake Creek to fishing in 1994. A Threatened listing of Columbia River bull trout under the Endangered Species Act in 1998 followed the fishery closure (Fies et al. 1996 and Lohr et al. ####). Bull trout redd counts continue in the basin in accordance with the goals of the Native Fish Conservation Policy.
- Purpose: Prevent the depletion of native fish through annual monitoring of spawning populations.
- Time Period of Content: 1986-2011
- Geographic Extent: Metolius River subbasin
- Status: Final
- Use Constraints:
- Format: excel spreadsheet
Data Quality Information
- No data information was supplied.
Entity and Attribute Information
- Attributes Description: metadat and reach descriptions attached