MetaData for Lower Pony Creek Watershed Assessment and Potential Action Plan
Lower Pony Creek Watershed Assessment and Potential Action Plan
- Originator: Lower Pony Creek Watershed Committee
- Publish Date: September 2001
- Online Link: None
- Agency: Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board
- Name: Ashley Seim
- Job Position: Web Specialist
- Telephone: 503-986-0186
- E-Mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Abstract: The Lower Pony Creek Watershed has been undergoing significant change in recent decades, as the area has transitioned from a forested coastal valley to urban and suburban in character. This transition has
presented significant issues for the Cities of North Bend and Coos Bay and these issues are the focus of this project. Flooding in the Creek system has become an increasingly regular occurrence in specific areas. Water quality has deteriorated to the point that, in 1998, the Oregon Department of Water Quality listed Pony Creek and Pony Slough as being water quality limited for high bacterial counts. The Creek system supports or has supported salmon runs (now protected under the Endangered Species Act) and is
designated Essential Salmonid Habitat by the Oregon Department of State Lands and the Oregon Department ofFish and Wildlife.
Citizens and agency staff have come together to better understand the current condition of the Lower Pony Creek, and to chart a course toward an ecologically healthier future for the watershed.
- Purpose: The purpose of this project is to assess watershed conditions in the lower Pony Creek and its tributaries,inthecities ofCoos BayandNorthBend,CoosCounty,Oregon. TheStudyArea forthe project is defined as Pony Creek from near Virginia Avenue, upstream approximately 3 miles to the Merritt Lake Dam above Qcean Boulevard. The Study Area encompasses approximately 1300 acres, a little more than 2 square miles.
- Time Period of Content:
- Geographic Extent: Lower Pony Creek Watershed, North Bend/Coos Bay Oregon
- Status: Final
- Use Constraints:
- Format: PDF
Data Quality Information
Entity and Attribute Information
- Attributes Description: Field attribute information is available in the database table field decsriptions.